Salmon & Broccoli in a Cheese Sauce
100-120g salmon fillet
25g dairy-free margarine
25g plain flour
30g dairy-free grated cheese
180ml reconstituted Similac Alimentum
1. Wash and dry the fish, taking care to remove any bones.
2. In a saucepan, cover the fish with cold water and heat gradually.
3. Before the water comes to the boil, reduce the heat to simmering point and poach for 7-10 minutes (the fish will be opaque and flake easily once cooked).
4. A few minutes before the fish is cooked, add the broccoli and simmer until cooked. Drain the water and keep the fish and the broccoli to one side.
5. Melt the margarine in a saucepan. Add the flour and stir to make a paste.
6. Gradually whisk in the Similac Alimentum and continue to stir over a low heat for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the grated cheese.
7. Flake the fish, place in a bowl with the broccoli and add most of the cheese sauce. Purée using a blender, adding extra sauce as required to reach the desired consistency.
This recipe can be prepared with white fish if you feel salmon is too strong a flavour for your baby at this stage. Why not try adding potato, sweet potato or butternut squash for some variety?